To create a new class with Flat, create a Flat for Education account as a teacher. If your school is already using Flat for Education, ask them to send you an invitation to join your school.
1. Open “My Classes”
Once you are logged in Flat for Education, click on the tab “My classes” on the left of your screen on any dashboard page.
Then, click on the button “Create a new class” in the center of your screen.
What is the purpose of a class?
Creating a class will make it much easier to organize and share activities of any kind with your students. We have a dedicated section about the various kinds of activities you can create and assign to your classroom. Most of the time, we recommend following the same organization as you have in your “real” classroom.
2. Name your new class
You now have a new page displayed where you can create your new class. There are multiple ways to do it:
- Create your class on Flat: choose a name and press “Create on Flat for Education”.
- Use Google Classroom
- Use Microsoft Teams
- Use Canvas
- Use Schoology
- … or any other LMS using LTI.
Connecting a third-party app or LMS to Flat for Education will make the setup much easier for you: we will automatically create and update accounts for your students from an external course from one of these apps or LMS.
Once your class is created, you will see multiple tabs available in your class navigation:
- Stream: Use the stream to quickly share content with your students, especially music scores from your account in read-only.
- Assignments: Use the assignments feature to create any activities for your students using Flat. We got a more dedicated help page to learn more about assignments.
- People: Use the class people page to add, invite and manage students and teachers that are part of your class.
- Settings: Use the class settings to rename, customize, archive, and remove your class.
3. Add your students to your new class
To add or invite students to your class, open the People tab in your class, then click on the Add People button.
From there, you will have several options to add students or teachers to your class:
We wrote a dedicated article about everything you need to know about your different options to invite people into your classroom, this one is available right here.
Now that your class is full of students willing to learn music, we will give more details about all the different activities that you can create.