Google Classroom - FAQ
If you never tried Flat with Google Classroom, check out our introduction here.
You can find here the most asked questions about using Flat with Google Classroom. If yours is not here, please ask our team!
Setup and Rostering
Some of my students already have individual accounts, what will happen?
In most of the cases and if the student is using a free individual account, we will directly migrate his account to an education account and enroll this student in your course. If a student was using Facebook or a password to sign in, they will be able to use the Google Signin on your organization page (i.e. [my-school].flat.io) or Flat’s homepage. If you have an issue with an account migration, please contact our team.
Can I use another integration besides Google Classroom?
Sure, we support that’s we call hybrid profiles/authentication. A Flat for Education account can be used with Google Classroom and another LMS at the same time, you won’t need separate accounts.
What permissions are requested to use Google Classroom on Flat?
When you setup Flat with Google Classroom, we request the following authorizations:
- View your Google Classroom classes: This permission allows us to list the classes and get the basic info. For example their names, sections, etc.
- View your Google Classroom class rosters: This permission allows us to know the list of students in your courses, create their accounts on Flat and enroll them in the chosen courses.
- View the profile photos of people in your classes: We use this permission to nicely display you the students in an assignment or in a score shared with you.
- View the email addresses of people in your classes: When creating your student accounts on Flat, we match existing individual accounts and accounts using another login method. This allows us to automatically migrate existing accounts into your organization, and allow your students and other teachers to use multiple authentication methods (i.e. hybrid authentication). For example both username/password and Google Signin, or another LMS (e.g. Canvas) with Google Classroom. The good news is that your students will have a single account, and you can use different integrations without having duplicated accounts.
- Manage your course work and view your grades in Google Classroom: This permission allows us to update submissions as a student.
- Manage course work and grades for students in the Google Classroom classes you teach and view the course work and grades for classes you administer: This permission allows us to manage submissions as a teacher.
- Receive notifications about your Google Classroom data: This permission allows us to automatically update rosters when you have a modification made in Google Classroom. For example, when a new student is joining a course, we will automatically create their account and add the account in the class on Flat.
What is the instant roster update?
It means we update the data and information on Flat instantly when you make modifications on Google Classroom. For example, when a new student joins your course on Classroom, he/she is added instantly on Flat and his account is ready to use, here is a quick demo (student screen on the left, teacher screen on the right).
Do you support grading with Google Classroom?
At this time we only support contextualized/text feedback on Flat, you can directly grade on Google Classroom. When you are viewing the submission on Flat, you will also have a direct link to grade on Classroom.
I created some assignments on Flat before synchronizing it with Google Classroom, how to choose the one I want to post to my course?
When synchronizing a Google Classroom course with Flat, we don’t post older assignment to the course. You can manually post an older assignment to your Classroom course by simply updating the assignment.